Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

The Towers of Tuscany

The Towers of Tuscany - Carol M. Cram

Sofia grew up learning and mastering her father's trade, painting. As the daughter of Antonio Barducci in 14th century Tuscany, Sofia now paints panels in secret for her father's business. Sofia has fallen into a loveless marriage at a young age to Giorgio, a man who has become upset that Sofia has not produced any sons for him. As Sofia's father dies in a tragic uprising, he tells her to take her latest panel and seek out Maestro Manzini in Siena. Sofia takes the chance to flee her unfulfilling life and husband, she ends up in Siena disguised as a boy, but having the chance to do the one thing she loves.

The Towers of Tuscany is a rollercoaster of a historical fiction novel that quite literally paints an image of medieval Tuscany through the eyes of a young woman. The painting process and subject matter was rich in detail and well researched. Some of my favorite scenes from the book were when Sofia was reminiscing about the past as her father was giving her lessons in painting. Sofia is an interesting heroine. She makes many brave decisions, continuing to paint under her husbands nose, fleeing to Siena, dressing as a boy, and then revealing herself. While her journey is fascinating, a lot of the writing is Sofia's inner monologue where we learn that while her choices are daring, her reasoning seems very selfish or arrogant at times. Luckily, Sofia grows throughout the story and when the plague enters the scene, Sofia will make have to make life or death decisions. Overall, a lavishly done historical fiction novel about a female medieval painter who had to make very difficult decisions throughout her life.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.

This can also be my blue cover for bookish bingo!

Source: http://stephaniesbookreviews.weebly.com