Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Wildalone

Wildalone - Krassi Zourkova

Theodora Slavin grows up in Bulgaria under the watchful eye of her parents.  At an early age she finds a piano locked away in her house, drawn to it's mystery and beauty Thea seems to already know how to play.  Thea is allowed to continue to play, under certain conditions.  Before leaving for college, a music scholarship to Princeton in the United States, Thea learns of several family secrets- a missing child and a link to the Bulgarian myth of the samodivi.  These stories will affect Thea as she enters schools and tries to solve the mysteries on her own, but two alluring brothers, Rhys and Jake ensnare Thea into their own world.

Intriguing and addicting, I felt like I raced through Wildalone.  The seamless blending of mythologies into everyday life brought out a magical quality.  I just had to know what happened to Elza, the missing girl, and what the connection was to the samodivi.  I enjoyed learning about this Bulgarian folktale as well as the other mythologies that blended into it, such as Orpheus and Eurydice.  Through beautiful prose, the writing brought out an ominous but beautiful setting, the Princeton campus, large empty houses and even Carnegie Hall. Everywhere Thea goes doesn't seem quite safe, but may hold the key to solving the mystery of Elza.  Of course, the brothers presented a problem.  Creepy and controlling, Rhys is the one Elza falls for, while Jake, kindhearted and mysterious is pushed to the background.  As much as I hate love triangles, the brother's world still drew me in and created a way for Thea to find out more about the mysteries she is trying to solve.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.

Magical Realism for bookish bingo: