Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Medium Dead

Medium Dead: An Alexandra Gladstone Mystery - Paula Paul

Queen Victoria has secretly found her way to the small Village of Newton-upon-Sea in hopes of hosting a séance with local psychic Alvina Elwold in order to contact the deceased Prince Albert.  Queen Victoria is an undisclosed guest of Lady Forsyth at Montmarsh Castle where the covert séance is planned to take place; only Alvina is found murdered at the graveyard before she can perform and a local man swears that he saw the Queen flee the scene.  When local doctor, Alexandra Gladstone is called to aid an ailing Lady Forsyth by her son, Lord Dunsford, it is clear to Alexandra that there is more contributing to Lady Forsyth’s condition than her illness.

A murder mystery in Victorian England, featuring Queen Victoria herself-I couldn’t resist.  As I began reading, I realized that this was the fourth book in the series; however I did not feel lost at all.  I immediately felt connected to Alexandra, a doctor practicing medicine in a time when women are banned from being physicians.  She is confident, intelligent and has a soft spot for the people of her village.  The rest of the characters, Lord Dunsford, Lady Forsyth, Nancy, and even the Queen formed an interesting, humorous and eclectic cast.  The mystery of the dead medium was not that difficult to figure out or involved; however, Medium Dead provided a quick, shorter, light mystery with entertaining characters.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.