Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

The Spider and the Stone

The Spider and the Stone: A Novel of Scotland's Black Douglas - Glen Craney

In the 14th century, England and Scotland clamor over land. The Scottish clans struggle to fill an empty throne while Edward ‘Longshanks’ Plantagenet seeks to take their land from under their noses.  Amid the chaos, one Scotsman stands out as a leader.  Named ‘The Black Douglas,’ James Douglas emerges as the hero to his people over the English. However, his story is not that simple.  As a young man, James fell in love with Isabelle MacDuff, the MacDuff clan crowns monarchs as the Stone of Destiny sings.  James also befriends Robert the Bruce, an enemy of the MacDuff clan.  Fated to fight for the friend who will be King and the woman he loves, James’ decisions will determine Scotland’s independence.

An epic story filled with war, love, magic and history, The Spider and the Stone tells the incredible tale of Scotland’s War of Independence.  I didn’t really know much about this time in history going into the story, so everything was very informative and interesting to me.  I was immediately intrigued and felt the most pull towards Isabelle MacDuff’s story.  I especially liked that a recurring theme was that the women of Scotland would have to prove stronger than the men in order for Scotland to succeed.  Isabelle’s story surely portrayed this.  Much of the story was political, which can get a little tedious for me, but never boring.  The action scenes were well done, very exciting and realistic.  I was intrigued by James’ ingenuity on the field and the tactics he used.  I also enjoyed the incorporation of the legends and magic into history.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.