Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Loonies

Loonies - Gregory Bastianelli

“Smokey Hollow had the appearance of a quiet and quaint New England town, until the day the trunk in the attic was opened.”

Brian and his wife Darcie moved to Smokey Hollow in order to slow down now that Darcie is pregnant.  Brian is the new editor of the Hollow News, a weekly paper that reports on such news such as the Garden Club tour and the annual Dump festival.  Darcie begins to clean out the attic of their new house and finds a trunk. When they open it, there is a gruesome surprise that sets into motion a series of events that shake the small town and give Brian a series of killer front pages.  The trunk is linked to the Mustard House, a psychiatric treatment center in town.  The more Brian digs into the contents of the trunk, the more strange things happen; a sleepwalker may hold the clues, the fire chief’s ventriloquist dummy might be doing naughty things and everyone in town keeps dying.

From that first sentence I was hooked on what that trunk unlocked on the small town of Smokey Hollow.  I loved the slow build of suspense.  This was a well-crafted mystery where each event layered on top of one another the build an intricate story line.  Most of all, the whole time I really didn’t know if this was going to be something natural or supernatural.  The ventriloquist dummy, the sleepwalker, the Knackerman and a whole list of other intriguing characters keep the story moving as Brian tries to figure out each of their roles in the mystery.  Brian makes a great detective, a relentless reporter who puts nothing in front of his job is determined to figure out where the babies in the trunk of his attic came from, but keeps getting pulled in much deeper into the secrets of Smokey Hollow.  Overall, an engaging horror, thriller and crime drama that kept me guessing to the end.

This book was provided for free in return for an honest review.