Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

No Poverty Between the Sheets

No Poverty Between the Sheets (The Long Road Home Book 1) - Pauline Kiely, Susan Reynolds

This is a memoir of a very large French-Canadian family written by Pauline Kiely.  With the title "No Poverty Between the Sheets," I figured this would provide a humorous view of growing up in such a family.  Kiely provides this looking back from when her parents first came to Canada from Ireland and France to the day she was born to her time as an adult.

This memoir is filled with amusing anecdotes, comedy and raw emotion.  I loved reading about this family's experience through time, especially the 60's and 70's.  It was very interesting to see how music, the mix of cultures, drugs and the changing decades affected the family.  I really loved all of the stories about animals and the song lyrics from her family.  The story and some of the  anecdotes did seem a little disjointed at times, I never really felt a good flow.  However, it was a good book to pick up put down over the day.  Overall, this was a different type of memoir, one about family ties and bonds with the unique outlook of a French and Irish Canadian point of view.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.
‚Äč