Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

After Alice

After Alice: A Novel - Gregory Maguire

After Alice fell through the rabbit hole into Wonderland, her friend Ada and Siam, a refugee slave boy from the states follow her.  Ada’s home, the Vicarage in Oxford is like a prison of her own.  Ada is not allowed to roam anywhere without her caretaker or her metal braces for her scoliosis.  Ada decides to visit her neighbors at the Croft to get away from her baby brother’s constant wailing. Alice has always played with Ada despite her strange braces.  When Ada arrives, no one can find Alice, but Ada quickly discovers where it is that Alice disappeared to.  In Wonderland, Ada’s braces disappear, and she finds herself hot on Alice’s trail, but never quite catching up.

This was a fantastical tale that followed Alice’s adventure in Wonderland through a different set of eyes.  Ada’s adventure is about discovering freedom.  She is able to move freely in Wonderland without her braces, she is without the watchful eyes of her caretaker, and Ada quickly discovers herself to be creative, quick, and a good problem solver.  Wonderland’s creatures make appearances, though all slightly different than in the original story.  My favorites were the Roses, the Head Egg and the reimagining of the Jaberwock.  The book went back and forth between Wonderland and Oxford where the families and caretakers of the lost girls wondered about their whereabouts, their opinions on the matter where interesting, but definitely not as fun as Wonderland.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.