Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

TheCrescent Spy

The Crescent Spy - Michael  Wallace

Josephine Breaux makes her living as a newspaper reporter; however during the Civil War she must write under a male pseudonym.   As a female, she is able to get information from both the Union and the Confederacy.  When her cover is blown, Josephine is arrested at a traitor and spy.  To her surprise, Pinkerton Agent, Franklin Gray takes her instead to Washington where she meets President Lincoln himself.  Lincoln wants Josephine on a mission in New Orleans collecting information for the Union.  Josephine arrives in New Orleans during the height of the fighting.  Josephine’s past helps her get through the battles, but some other people from her past want to bring her down.

I love reading about women in the Civil War.  The Crescent Spy offered an exciting account of another brave woman who gave her all during the war.  Josephine’s character is very intriguing with her past as interesting as her present.  Josephine is intelligent, fast-thinking, brave and compassionate.   I loved seeing her perspective on the battles and her news stories.  Josephine acts truly selflessly in all of her actions throughout the war.  I was very impressed with Josephine’s decisions and thought process in her determination in the Union taking New Orleans.  There was very realistic battle scenes and historical information, also.  I loved that the romance took a back-burner to the plot, but was still a great part of the story.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.