Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

The Ghost Chronicles

The Ghost Chronicles (Book #1) - Marlo Berliner

Michael Andrews is a Senior in high school, weeks away from graduation, an all-star basketball co-captain and has a great girlfriend.  Unfortunately, he is hit by a reckless driver and dies in the accident.  Michael is left to navigate the ghost world on his own and it is no easier than the living world.   Michael wants to move onward and upward after his death, but doesn’t know how.  Michael finally meets Tom, another ghost who is able to help him figure out his new world.  As Michael learns about being a ghost, he meets many other ghosts, including Sarah, the resident haunt at the Angel of the Sea.  With Sarah, he learns that love can be part of the afterlife.  However, danger is also part of being a ghost.  Michael learns that he is marked by the devil and is being chased by demons that want his soul and will put Sarah in danger in order to get it.

I was pulled right into this story about Michael’s trials and learning about how to be a ghost.  It was really interesting to see his struggles with leaving his family and girlfriend behind, especially in the absence of his father.  I really liked when Michael met Tom and was able to learn about his new world, do cool things and meet other ghosts.  Some of the famous ghosts were awesome to get to know in the afterlife.  Michael and Sarah’s relationship is very sweet but a little strange to me; I’d love to know more about ‘joining’ of souls and why it is a bad thing and maybe more about Sarah’s life.  The suspense builds as Tom sudden disappearances grow and the demons are more intent on chasing down Michael for his mark.  There is a lot to still figure out: Why is Tom special?  Why do some ghosts move on while others are stuck?  Why is Michael marked for the devil?   I will definitely be reading the second book!

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.