Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Stillwater

Stillwater - Maynard Sims

After a rough divorce and a debilitating car accident, romance author Beth Alvarini is left paralyzed from the waist down and desperately in need of a new look on life.  Her agent finds her the perfect lease in rural Suffolk, Stillwater; a place to rest, recuperate and begin a new book.  At first Beth is totally taken with Stillwater, and its property manager James.  Things slowly begin to happen within the house, however, that leads Beth to believe something is amiss.  When neighbors begin to relay stories of the past owners, Beth thinks that she has the mystery of Stillwater figured out; but the Stillwater ghost has other ideas for Beth.

Set in modern day England, this was a slow burning horror.  Beth’s character, strong, brave and fiercely independent was the perfect person to attempt to figure out Stillwater’s brutal story.  The mystery of the past family and the slight glimpses into what might have happened there kept me intrigued.  While there wasn’t much outright horror or gore, there was plenty to keep me on the edge of my seat and keep reading.  I really liked that almost everything that was happening to Beth could be explained by natural phenomenon, making her think that she was relapsing into a breakdown.  With several twists and turns near the end, Stillwater ends with a different outlook.

This book was provided for free in return for an honest review.