Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

America's First Daughter

America's First Daughter: A Novel - Stephanie Dray, Laura Croghan Kamoie

As Thomas Jefferson's oldest daughter, Patsy Jefferson grows up in awe of her father and his political strides.  Patsy follows him to Paris where Thomas Jefferson becomes the American Minister to France.  In Paris, Patsy not only goes to Court and receives a worldly education, but gets to see the effects of politics in action and form her own opinions on slavery.  She also becomes her father's protector and companion.  As Patsy ages, she becomes her own woman, marries and makes her own choices as her father blazes an illustrious political career.  When he passes, Patsy must choose how he will be remembered.

Using Thomas Jefferson's letters, the authors have created and engaging and very accurate portrayal of Thomas and Patsy Jefferson.  I love learning about history through a woman's eyes, and Patsy's character does wonders for learning more about Patsy herself, Thomas Jefferson, Sally Hemmings and even Abigail Adams.  I was very intrigued about Thomas Jefferson's views of his own slaves, his relationship with Sally Hemmings and his relationship with his children.  Patsy herself is a tremendous character which I loved to see grow, develop her own opinions and eventually fulfill the obligations as First Lady to her father.  This is a longer book at almost 600 pages, so it is quite an epic read, but well worth it for any historical fiction lover.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.