Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Haven: Chronicles of Warshard

Haven: Chronicles of Warshard - Katherine Bogle

Queen Haven of Rythern never thought that she would have to fulfill her duties as Queen.  However, when both of her parents and two older brothers die gruesomely from the incoming war, Haven must step up.  Born with the gift of being able to heal from any injury, she is dubbed The Immortal Queen.  With war on her doorstep, Haven must quickly step into her new role.  The insane Queen Kadia has been quickly taking over each of the six Kingdoms of Warshard.  Using her black magic, Kadia seems impossible to defeat and Haven is hesitant about sending her kingdom into war.  Haven’s gift, with the help of another, might be exactly what is needed to defeat Queen Kadia.
‚Äč
Haven jumped right into the action with an assassination attempt and warfare.  It was nice that Haven’s abilities were brought right out into the open and no one was afraid of her.  Haven’s abilities reminded me of a kinder, gentler Deadpool.  Haven also continuously put herself in harm’s way to the benefit of her kingdom.  Queen Kadia was a very interesting character and I do wish that I could have seen more into her motivations and history, there were some glimmers of what might be driving her, but nothing concrete.  The second half of the book moved very quickly as the suspense picked up with Haven’s meeting of Kadia and a larger battle. I do wish that there was more description of the Kingdoms and especially the tunnel path to Seaburn, there was a lot of hype over this mysterious tunnel, but I felt that when they passed through, a lot was glossed over.  I had a good general understanding of each Kingdom, but I just wanted a little more.  Hopefully, more will be explained in the next installment, which I will be interested in reading.

This book was provided for free in return for an honest review.