Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Paradox Forged in Blood

Paradox Forged in Blood - Mary Frances Fisher

Several families are brought together through a meaningless tragedy in Pre-World War II Ohio.   In 1939, a young Ellen O’Malley works as nanny for the Sheridan family who lives on Millionaire’s Row.  Ellen already carries around the guilt of witnessing the kidnapping of her younger brother when she was a child and not being able to help; now on one fateful night, she witnesses a burglary gone wrong at the Sheridan household where her employer, Louis Sheridan is murdered.  Ellen only sees the back of the murderer’s head, but she has a clue as to who he is.  Before she is able to tell anyone, the murderer threatens to kill her family if she tells.  Now, Ellen has another burden to carry around.  Meanwhile, other employees in the Sheridan household also have had a brush-in with the suspected murderer, however, everyone is too afraid to say anything and the murder goes unsolved for decades until they are sure that the danger has passed.

This is a twisty historical murder-mystery that is based on the author’s actual family members.   The murder mystery itself is quite suspenseful, several people may know what happened, but all are too afraid to speak.  Meanwhile, the police are chasing several suspects that match the murderer’s description that seem to have disappeared.  With WWII on the horizon, tensions are heightened and other concerns are put into the forefront.  I did get a great sense of Ellen’s character and I felt terrible that the knowledge of the murder weighed on her for all those years.  I do wish that the storyline stuck with just the murder mystery and Ellen’s story.  I felt sidetracked at points with the disappearance of her baby brother and the resolution and Sadie’s story- the Sheridan’s cook, and the recovery of her long lost twin sister.  Somehow, all of these events were pulled together, but I felt it could have been streamlined more.  Overall, a surprising murder-mystery that highlights tensions and values of America during World War II.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.