Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

A Song of War

A Song of War - Kate Quinn

I'm going to use this for Bingo,  for the "fall" of Troy!

The Trojan Wars are steeped history through myth, legend and epic tales.  A Song of War brings together seven stories from throughout the war by seven different authors.  Each story, or song, took me chronologically through the War, which made the songs flow together melodically.  I enjoyed the changing perspectives, bringing forth different views from different sides.  I especially liked that some of these characters were people that history has swept to the background.  While the stories of Helen, Menelaus, Achilles, Paris, Hector and Odysseus were exciting and action packed, it was the stories of Cassandra, Briseis and Penthesilea that were the most insightful, heartfelt and brought true passion from all sides.

I truly enjoyed this anthology format for reading.  Each author showed their own voice through their characters, yet there was still one full story pulled together through each verse.  I was impressed with how each story was able to pull out a different emotion: greed, sacrifice, torment, tragedy, vengeance, thoughtfulness and hope.  I think this is a great example of anthology style of writing, I enjoyed the focus not being on one character or point of view, but the experience as a whole.  I can’t wait to read more from this historical fiction team.

This book was provided by Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours.