Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Written in the Ashes

Written in the Ashes - K. Hollan Van Zandt

Magical Realism for bingo!  Looks like I won't be getting an actual bingo, oh lack of planning strikes again!

Hannah’s destiny will take her far away from the desert where she and her father tended a goat herd in the fifth century.  Hannah is first stolen from her father by slave traders and taken to Alexandria where she is bought by Tarek.   Luckily, Tarek’s father, Alizar is a patient man with a secret of his own.   Alizar sees that there is more to Hannah than meets the eye.  Even as a slave, he sends Hannah to be educated at the Great Library under Hypatia.  Unfortunately, Alexandria is in the midst of religious turmoil and Hannah was raised as a Jew.  As religion and power clash, Hannah is sent away again to the Temple of Isis where she is trained as a priestess and sent on a mission to gather a tablet that will help secure the pagan faith.
‚Äč
As soon as Hannah’s story began, I was completely hooked.  Fierce, brave and full of hope, Hannah’s character is instantly endearing.  The journey that Hannah is sent on is full of high-stakes, adventure and cunning skill.  There is a lot going on in this book and it kept me just wanting more and more.  I loved being taken back to ancient Alexandria, I could picture the marketplace, the Great Library, chariot races and Alizar’s house perfectly.  Then the beauty and mystery of the Temple, I could imagine the dancing priestesses in full costume.  As Hannah chases the Emerald Tablet her fate becomes entwined in her mission and the excitement increases.  History, magic, adventure and romance intersect in this epic tale about a young women’s journey.