Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

The Queen of The Tearling

The Queen of the Tearling - Erika Johansen

Another one for the 12 Tasks!  This one was my dreidel pick (thank you mom for the dreidel) and thank you dreidel for getting this one off my tbr!

Princess Kelsea has been in hiding from soon after her birth.  Upon her nineteenth birthday, she will take her place as Queen of the Tearling.  Kelsea’s entire life has been learning and training under the tutelage of a former Queen’s guard and her mother’s nanny.  However, there are key points that Kelsea has been kept in the dark upon.  Her Uncle, Thomas Raleigh has been in place as the regent since the death of Kelsea’s mother, Queen Elyssa.  Unbeknownst to Kelsea, her mother and uncle have made quite a mess of the Tear for the past several years; specifically in their dealings with the feared Queen of Mortmesne.  Now, Kelsea must seemingly do the impossible:  get to the Keep in the Tearling without being assassinated, gain the trust of her Queen’s Guard and the people of the Tear and begin fix her kingdom by undoubtedly going to war with the Red Queen of Mortmesne.

An entertaining and intelligent female-driven adventure fantasy.  First of all, Kelsea is an amazing heroine.  At first she seemed meek and uninformed; however, her quick wits and determination set her apart.  She has many people to prove herself to, I ended up really enjoying the character of The Mace, a Queen's Guard.  He is unwavering in his duty, but unsure of the new, young Queen.  Through their time together, they form an interesting team and good relationship.  The inclusion of magic was very interesting, at first it seemed that magic was just an illusion and not part of this world, maybe something that only the Mort Queen could do; however, as Kelsea grew in her independence, her magic also grew.  I am eager to find out the full capacity of her stones.  I did have a little confusion on what setting we were in.  It seemed like the past in an unknown land, however the story apparently takes place in a future where many technological advances and knowledge has been lost in 'the Crossing.'  Also, the story leaves off with Kelsea inviting war from the Mort Queen into the Tear, so there is no big climax of action in this installment, but I will be looking forward to how Kelsea manages herself in that situation. Overall, a wonderful story of how an ordinary girl is able to find her extraordinary.