Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Unexpected: Short Stories From Around the World

Unexpected: Short Stories from Around the World - P.F. Citizen One

This one is for The Twelve Tasks- an African American author!

A short collection of brief stories and anecdotes compiled from the author's very interesting life travelling around the world as a petroleum engineer.  Each of his stories is told as though sitting down with a good friend for some coffee and hearing about their amazing adventures.  The stories, though short each have an unexpected ending that elicits strong emotion through humor, sadness and compassion.

My favorite story is probably the very first where the author tells of his Brazillian friend who is waiting to get married.  The friend is away from home for long periods of time and has a girlfriend on the side.  The author warns the friend of his actions and come wedding day the groom is in for a big surprise.

I also loved the last story about a Chinese boy who grew up thinking that he would amount to nothing and decided to live his adult life trying to make others happy.  However, it wasn't until after his death that he was recognized for all he did.

A nice little collection of short stories, and a very quick read.  I did notice a few editing errors, such as 'live' instead of 'life' and the repetition of a phrase, but nothing that hindered my enjoyment of the book.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.