Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

The Secrets of Montresor (The French Orphan #2)

The Secrets of Montrésor - Michael Stolle

Picking up right after The French Orphan, Pierre- the new Marquis de Beauvoir,  his friend Armand and trusty valet, Jean are off to claim the Beauvoir property of Montresor.  However, their trip has double purpose.  From Montresor, they will begin a quest to unite three rings for the Knights Templar.  When the group arrives at the estate, they begin to find that things have not been kept quite right from when Pierre's cousin Henri ran the estate.  Pierre begins to set things straight and must out some staff.  Meanwhile, Henri is still trying to find a way for Pierre to meet his unfortunate end.  With many players including Henri, Cardinal Richeleiu and King Louis XIII and their different agenda's, Pierre's life is anything but boring.

This is the second book in the French Orphan series and I am so glad that I stuck with it!  The Secrets of Montresor is action packed and includes more historical detail surrounding Louis XIII.  Pierre and Armand can't seem to stay out of trouble as they claim Pierre's estates and Henri is always right on their trail.  Henri's malicious debacles were even greater this time as he came closer and closer to killing Pierre.  I was especially intrigued when he became involved with a gypsy troupe who almost seemed to manipulate him.  Jean was the shining star for me in this installment, his devotedness to Pierre and street smarts help Pierre and Armand out of trouble more than once.  Another new comer is Armand's cousin, François de Toucy who is surprising in a good way.  The female characters play a smaller role in this installment, but they definitely have more to offer in upcoming books, especially Julia.  Like the last book there are several sex scenes and male/male sex scenes, so that is something that the reader will have to be comfortable with.  The writing is less clunky, but there is still inner-monologues that are in the way and a few instances of repeated knowledge to the reader.  I will, however like to continue reading on in the series to see how Pierre and Armand will find the third Templar ring.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.