Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

The Fairytale Chicago of Francesca Finnegan

The Fairytale Chicago of Francesca Finnegan - Steve Wiley, McDonald Jen, Chris Cihon

Richard Lyons is a successful businessman in Chicago, a vice-president of something or other.  He makes a lot of money ordering people around and then spends it on alcohol.  Even though Richard has a successful career, a wife and a son-he is not happy and begins to wish his life away by means of falling icicles.  Richard has forgotten his childhood when he was just Rich, when he played Ghosts in the Graveyard and caught the uncatchable girl, Francesca Finnegan and was introduced to the magic of Chicago.

This fairytale is very much for adults, adults who have forgotten how to have fun and invite magic and mystery into their life.  When Richard is introduced, he is very much like many of the adults that I know, climbing up in their career ladder, but unhappy in their private lives.  I did not like Richard very much at this point.  However, Richard then meets a young woman on the street who takes him back to the past.   Once Richard began to go back, I loved every second of his journey with Francesca Finnegan into the Fairytale Chicago.  Much like any other fairytale, the fairytales that Rich witnesses strive to explain events and other things that don't seem to have an explanation at the time.  Francesca's fairy tales explain the Great Chicago fire, the strange turns in weather, the colored L trains, even the secret mermaid statue.  I'm sure I would have appreciated the stories even more if I had any significant ties to Chicago, but anyone familiar with the major traits of the city should understand.  Francesca was absolutely magical, practical, logical and humorous all at once reminding both Rich's character and the reader the beauty of childhood.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.