Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Condemn Me Not: Accused of Witchcraft

Condemn Me Not - Heather B. Moore
Susannah North Martin stands accused of witchcraft in 1629. At 71 years old, Susannah has led a full life raising her many kids and grandkids and spending time with her loving husband, George. However, Susannah was also known for speaking her mind and not caring what others thought of her which led to tension with some of her neighbors. Years later, Susannah finds herself imprisoned along with five other women in the Salem jail who have been accused of Witchcraft.

I am an avid reader of historical fiction and nonfiction concerning the Salem Witch Trials. Some stories are deeply rooted in fiction with magic and good witches; though my favorite books are those rooted in history and carefully reconstructed by the ancestors of the accused women themselves. Heather B. Moore does just this, an ancestor of Susannah North Martin herself, Heather has lovingly created the best and worst parts of Susannah's life so we can see how she lived and how she died. I loved how the book went back and forth between Susannah's life at 25 years old as she was meeting George Martin and establishing a family and 1629 while she was imprisoned in a jail cell. Most books written about the trials focus on just that, the trials. I enjoyed learning about Susannah's life and the political and personal reasons that she may have led to the accusations of Witchcraft. It was very interesting to see Susannah enjoying and living her life as a normal person and not just an accused witch. The time spent in the jail cell was also very interesting. I liked the focus on the camaraderie between the six women and their feelings about being accused and found guilty. In many books about the Salem witches, there is a touch of magic thrown in, in Susannah's case her touch of magic was just right and just enough. Overall, a heartfelt and fact-based recreation of the life and death of Susannah North Martin.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.