Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Sense of Touch

Sense of Touch: Love and Duty at Anne of Brittany's Court - Rozsa Gaston

Anne of Brittany has known tremendous loss in her young life; orphaned at eleven and left to rule her country, Anne strategically married Charles VIII of France ensuring peace for her country and keeping her role as its ruler.  Her marriage to Charles produced six children, none who lived past the age of three.  However, Anne persisted.  Her ladies that surround her are a source of comfort, Nicole St. Sylvain is one of those ladies; brought to court at 15, Nicole grows to idolize Queen Anne. Nicole is also fond of working with animals and using the knowledge of herbs that her mother passed to her. When a young horse trainer, Philippe de Boise is in need of a helping hand with the Queen's new horse, Nicole provides a healing touch. Meanwhile, Nicole and Philippe discover new love.  Nevertheless, Nicole and Philippe are pulled apart due to duty and birth stature.  Years later, Nicole and Philippe may have another chance when fate brings them together one more time in order to save the life of the Queen's young daughter.

Sense of Touch is a 15th century historical romance that took me back in time to the court of Anne of Brittany.  Though the story focuses on the romance of Nicole and Philippe, I was able to get a taste of the courageous, strong and graceful woman that Anne of Brittany was and how she ruled.  Through Nicole's eyes, the young sovereign was shown at her best.  I could not imagine the strength of character Anne possessed to get through multiple pregnancies that ended in stillbirths or deaths at a young age.  More than anything, Nicole had respect for Queen Anne and took her lessons to heart.  Nicole may be fictional, but she does portray many of the real girls that Queen Anne brought into her life as part of a type of finishing school. Most historical romances feature cunning lovers who go against their ruler's wishes.  Nicole and Philippe were different than most lovers, they fulfilled their duties to family and country first.  Fate took a large role in eventually bringing them back together.  Overall, a historical romance set in 15th century France that features not only forbidden romance, but a true friendship and appreciation for Anne of Brittany.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review