Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Tales From the Warming

Tales from The Warming - Lorin R. Robinson

Tales from the Warming presents a series of ten short stories set in the near future that tells about the impact of global warming on human life.  All of these stories exhibit in a very realistic fashion what will happen to people from all around the Earth if we do not try to stop or at least slow or global Carbon Dioxide emissions.  Beginning with the very near future in 2022, we follow a weather reported to the top of Kilimanjaro where the last of the snow is melting.  This event in itself is not all that dramatic, but it is just the tip of the iceberg.  The emotion in the writing that is conveyed through this one event is what carried me through the rest of the stories in the book.  As the years pass, the effects of climate change spread and take route in humans lives, causing the characters to adapt and change their way of life as the new climate takes hold.

As I read through each story and the years pass, the climate slowly worsens for the human way of life. People are beginning to die, and those that have survived are finding more radical ways to live.  What impressed me the most is that nothing unrealistic or from science-fiction was brought into any of the stories.  Many of the events that so drastically changed the lives of the characters are events that are happening now: air pollution so terrible that it is killing people, earthquakes resulting from fracking and changes in growing seasons and locations. Overall, a very thought provoking and practical look into our most likely future if we do not begin to change our habits.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.