Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Jaybird's Song

Jaybird's Song - Kathy Wilson Florence

Josie Flint, affectionately know as Jaybird to her family, is nearing her 50th birthday when tragedy strikes.  The family matriarch and her namesake, Annie Jo has died.  This change in family structure causes Josie to look back at her childhood and stir up some memories, some which are better forgotten.  With the absence of her grandmother, Josie looks back on coming-of-age, the death of her father, friendships and desegregation in 1960's Atlanta.

Jaybird's Song is an ode to southern women, their strength and their place within the family.  Josie is an amazing woman to follow as the writing ping-pong's back and forth between her memories from growing up in the 1960's with her amazing grandmother, Annie Jo, to present day where Annie Jo is gone and Josie finally comes to deal with some of her issues.  I was surprised when what seemed to be a series of memories from Josie's childhood turned into something much more, not only does Josie unleash the truth of her father's death, but a memory of a bathrobe and an African-American student who joined Josie's high school class combined with a package found at Annie Jo's house turns into a murder mystery.  Overall, a passionate story that takes place throughout turbulent years in America's south that examines the tenacity of women.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.