Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

The Last Ballad

The Last Ballad: A Novel - Wiley Cash

Ella May Wiggins is a 28 year-old woman with five kids, one who has already died.  Six days a week she walks two mile to work the night shift at American Mill No.2, a textile mill in 1929, for $9.00 a week.  With no husband, this is barely enough to keep her family afloat.  Luckily, Ella may has the help of her colored neighbors in Stumptown when she is at work.  Fed up with the long hours, dangerous conditions and paltry pay, Ella May joins the labor union movement.  She is quickly elevated as a poster child for the movement, especially because of her unique voice and songwriting skills that weave her experience in the mill into a ballad that all workers can relate to.

Told through alternating viewpoints of Ella May and people who came in and out of her life, we learn about Ella May's involvement in the  labor union movement and how it ultimately led to her demise. This is not a spoiler as this is revealed quite early on in the story.  However, this was quite a shock to me and for the rest of the story I was wondering how all of these other viewpoints would lead up to that moment.  I did enjoy learning about this time in history and the labor union movement, especially the role that women played.  I was definitely inspired by Ella May's song and was glad to learn that it had such an impact on those around her. Through the different voices, I was lead through a dark part of US history, the fight for and against worker's rights.  I do wish that there was more of a centralized voice, with so many narrators I did have a little trouble focusing on Ella May and seeing how everything fit together in some cases.

This story was received for free in return for an honest review.