Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Trumpeterville

TrumpeterVille - Dean Gessie, Anna Faktorovich

The lake called Swanville is in need of new leadership. President Lulu, the black knob duck that previously served as President is on his way out. In the running is his Secretary as well as newcomer, Trumpeter. To everyone's surprise, Trumpeter wins with his brash Honks and cries to overturn Lulucare and tear down the beaver's wall that is eating up precious shoreline. As Trumpeter assumes leadership, the lake learns that he is more Honk than action and the Trumpeter's team seems to be just as silly flapping around the lake. Trumpeter's slogan was to 'Make Swanville Great Again." But no one is sure it needed saving in the first place.

TrumpeterVille is a satire of the current American political situation that revolves around the aquatic birds of Swanville. Amusingly, there are many quick one liners and similar names to the current leadership, that there are plenty of laughs; however, it too closely parallels President Trump's current situation to be called an allegory or have anything intellectual about it. It is simply the last election and the USA's current political state loosely placed in a swan pond. When I read the description, I imagined this story to be more of a takeaway of current politics using the actual ecology of the birds that occupy the pond. Instead, I read about anthropomorphized birds parroting back the current rhetoric. That being said, this is a short story and has plenty of amusing points throughout.

A Librarything Early Reviewers book.