Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Survivors' Dawn

Survivors' Dawn - Ashley Warren

Brooke Flanagan is ready for the college experience.  She has been raised in a conservative, religious household and is ready to breakout.  Lauren Le is the daughter of an immigrant and has always balanced her party lifestyle with good grades.  Nikki Towers is their cool and confident Resident Advisor who is trying to figure out what to do with the rest of her life.  Colin Jordon is a wealthy, privileged, smug,  college senior who has easily rolled through life. He takes joy in having sex with women against their will and making them believe it was their idea.  Colin Jordon is a sexual predator that has always gotten his way because of who he is; this is, until he sexually assaults Brooke, Lauren and Nikki.  The three women believe that there is no hope, but together, they find that they are stronger.

This is a very timely and important book that not only shows how anyone can be sexually assaulted, but how you can survive the trauma of sexual assault with support and bring justice to your accuser no matter how powerful they believe themselves to be.  With that, it did take me a while to get into this book, the first half of the book details the three women's interactions with Colin, how he gained their trust, acted as a perfect gentlemen, even suggested that they slow down at points.  I think what threw me is that the voices of the characters and the dialogue did not quite seem to match that of a college-aged women.  The writing at the beginning seemed to be aimed more towards adult parents than college students. There was just something slightly off about it, like the fact that they were calling their down to earth resident advisor, 'Cool RA.' Or when Colin was described as "...a thief in the night, a modern-day cat burglar pursuing jewels of a different sort.." Something about the language just threw me.  After the assaults, when the women were dealing with the emotions of being raped and assaulted and trying to figure out how to band together and fight back, was when the intensity picked up for me.  It was great to see Colin sweat and the women gain strength instead of feeling like they had to hide their attack.  The most intriguing parts for me were the friendships gained, the support groups and the actual hearings for Colin's behavior.  The best advice comes in the epilogue as well, how to help someone who might be assaulted and how to help yourself.

This book was received in exchange for an honest review.