Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

She Did It! 21 Women Who Changed the Way We Think

She Did It! 21 Women Who Changed the Way We Think - Emily Arnold McCully

Women are often the driving force behind positive changes we see in the world, however, their accomplishments are often overshadowed by their male counterparts or simply swept under the rug of history.  She Did It!  profiles 21 women who have inspired positive change in US history.  Each profile includes a mini-biography of the woman's life from birth to death or present time.  Their inspirations, failures, hardships and successes are all included.  Their journeys were rarely easy.  The writing is done so that middle grade readers can clearly understand, complete with definitions and vocabulary; although it is still informative for an adult reader.   Many of women who are profiled are women that I have heard of, some were not.  I was impressed with the variety of women throughout time, women from different backgrounds, ethnic groups and who led change in areas from human rights, civil rights, equality, the arts, media and the sciences.

I was very happy that the book included some of my personal heroines including Rachel Carson, Isadora Duncan, Grace Hopper and Temple Grandin.  Many of these women are not well known outside of their own spheres of influence; however changes that were affected by their advancements are still in use today.  I was glad to read about the difficult parts of their lives, their struggles and perseverance for what they wanted to accomplish.  It is important to know that creating change is not usually easy, but still very possible.  I was also happy to learn about women who I was unaware of including Gladys Tataquidgeon, a leader for Native American rights and culture, Ella Baker, who was integral in the civil rights movement alongside Martin Luther King and Alice Waters, whose work with food accessibility is still being accomplished today.  As I read through these women's stories, I began to see that even as they lived at different times and were champions of different causes, that each victory they had connected to and helped fuel the next, fully revealing the meaning of sisterhood.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.