Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

When Women Ruled the World

When Women Ruled the World: Six Queens of Egypt - Kara Cooney

When Women Ruled the World provides an in-depth examination of six female Egyptian rulers who were able to take hold and keep power within Ancient Egypt. The reigns of Merneith, Neferusobek, Hatshepsut, Nefertiti, Tawosret and Cleopatra are investigated combining strong research and intricate story telling.  Author Kara Cooney combines facts along with what was known about the political environment, climate and world affairs at the time to weave a plausible life story of each of these amazing women. With very little sources available, the conditions under which the six women were able to take hold and continue their rule are investigated and connected in many ways to our current political scene in the United States and the realities that women in politics face today.  There were also many other comparisons to current life that made the world of the Ancient Egyptians easy to understand.  I was very interested in the ways that these women were able to come to power, often at the end of a Dynasty when there was no other choice and when everything seemed to be falling apart, the women were there to pick the pieces up and put things back together.  I am by no means an Egypt specialist, but I have always been intrigued by their way of life.  The writing style and information was presented in an entertaining way and was easy to understand.  Looking at Egypt through the eyes of these six extraordinary women gave a very different view to an often misunderstood and glamorized time of history as well as much insight into how women behave in roles that are still seen as masculine to this day.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.