Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

From Across the Room

From Across the Room - Gina L. Mulligan

Author Thomas Galdwell takes a working vacation to the all new Hotel New Coronado in San Diego to find inspiration for his newest novel.  While there, he bumps into a young woman, Mary Harting.  Mary intrigues Thomas with her spirit and kind nature.   However, Mary's father is the railroad tycoon Charles Harting and has other plans for Mary that do not involve Thomas.  Thomas and Mary try their best to continue their relationship behind her father's back while Thomas attempts to finish two more novels on a tight deadline and unravel the mystery of the man Mr. Harting has chosen for Mary.

Told in epistolary form, Thomas Galdwell's letters tell the story of a writer, a romance and a mystery in the late 19th Century.  All of the letters are written from by Thomas and are sent to his agent, his family, his friends and Mary.  At first, this fact threw me since I am used to seeing both sides of a correspondence.  Since there was only one side of the story being presented, I filled in a lot in my head, especially about Mary.  We are given glimpses into her personality when Thomas uses quotes or relays a story, but I would have liked to know a little more about her.  Through his letters, Thomas' character shines and I was taken on an emotional roller coaster as he dealt with deadlines, love, villains and interesting neighbors.  The ending through me for a loop but also made everything make sense.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.