Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Pretty in Punxsutawney

Pretty in Punxsutawney - Laurie Boyle Crompton

Andie has always wished that her life was like a movie...but this wasn't what she had in mind.

The summer before Andie's senior year of high school, her family moved to Punxsutawney, PA.  Andie's mother has raised her to be a movie buff, mostly by watching her favorite movies from the 1980's.  Andie naturally gravitates towards the town's movie theatre where she meets Colton. Colton seems like the perfect candidate for Andie's first kiss.  However, the evening before Andie's first day she falls asleep on the couch watching Pretty in Pink in a pink polk-a-dot dress.  After a not-so-stellar first day where Andie loses Colton's interests to classmate, Kaia, Andie wishes she could have a do-over.  Her wish might just come true.

Combining some of my favorite movies from the 80's and early 90's, Pretty in Punxsutawney is a fun and heartwarming journey.  At this point in my life I identified more better with Andie's mom, but easily found myself immersed in Andie's story.  I could feel myself cringe along with Andie as her first day of school was less than ideal, especially with Colton.  I loved when the Groundhog's Day aspect came in and Andie repeated her first day over and over with different variations while desiring to make Colton her boyfriend.  Many of the variations picked up on other movies such as Breakfast Club and Ferris Buehler's Day Off.  I especially enjoyed when Andie began to try out a different clique each first day and begins to realize what her purpose might really be. I do wish that my favorite first day with the dance party was how Andie was able to stop the cycle; however, I'm still glad that things were able to wrap up the way they did.  Overall, a very endearing and lighthearted Young Adult read with plenty of nostalgia for older readers.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.