Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Indian Paintbrush (Carson Chronicles #3)

Indian Paintbrush - John A. Heldt

The five Carson siblings plus two new sisters-in-law and a new baby have entered a new time period in pursuit of their parents yet again.  Now the large group has entered into 1943 Arizona, a dangerous time especially for the three men who are all of age to be drafted.  They all quickly find jobs that will help the war effort.  Cody drives a supply truck that makes deliveries to an Internment Camp where he befriends a family.  Caitlin and Natalie maintain airplanes and meet two aviators.  Adam settles down with his wife and child as well as finding a job teaching English to Chinese pilots.  Greg along with his new wife are also finding their way in a new time, but with the same old problems that continue to haunt him.  With extensive knowledge of the events of World War II, the Carson clan must be extra careful to make sure they are fitting in with their time period.

Exhilarating and endearing, Indian Paintbrush offers an engaging time-travel adventure into 1943 with the Carson siblings.  I would highly recommend reading this series in order to get to know all of the characters and motivations.  I enjoyed diving right back into the action when the Carson family crossed through the veil into 1943 from 1918.  I was excited to learn how they would fit into a time period that they had more knowledge of and how the brides from 1889 and 1918 would do with the continued changes. After two previous time hops, the group is getting better at assimilating to the time period. As with the past two installments, I was impressed at how well immersed into the time period I felt.  Between the siblings, the writing explored the Internment Camps and the treatment of the citizens that were held there, the loss of a loved one during Pearl Harbor, the training program to be an aviator and romance during wartime.  I was surprised to see how some of the characters from the past time periods were integrated as well as how trouble the Carson's have caused in the past is still affecting them in 1943.  Their mission to find and reconnect with their parents is still their mission, however, it seems that the Carson family might be fated to near misses.  I can't wait to see how the next time period treats the Carson's.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.