Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Gold Digger

Gold Digger, The Remarkable Baby Doe Tabor - Rebecca Rosenberg
Elizabeth McCourt's family knew she was destined for greatness based on her beauty and, but Lizzie knew she could do even more.  Lizzie was married to Harvey Doe and went off to Colorado to make a fortune from the mines Harvey's family gave him.  Only, Harvey wasn't cut out for mining work.  Lizzie found herself striking deals and even going in the mines to help keep the mine going and money flowing.  Her beauty and ingenuity earned her the name Baby Doe.  Harvey soon found mining to be overwhelming and escapes back home abandoning Baby Doe.  She decides to stay, get divorced, finds work at a haberdashery and takes up with silver mining mogul Horace Tabor creating a scandal.  However, Baby Doe and Horace are happy as they excavate a place for themselves in society.

A true woman of the Wild West, Baby Doe Tabor's story reads as larger than life, but is all fact based.  Passion for Baby Doe's story seeps through the pages of Gold Digger with the emotion conveyed through her trials and triumphs.  Through Baby Doe a vibrant picture of the mining towns were created, along with the hardships faced there.  I was amazed at how Baby Doe always came through whether it was making her way into mining in order to understand the business, finding a way to divorce, running a store, breaking down barriers to society or helping to build her community, Baby Doe was a force to reckoned with.  For a woman of her time, Baby Doe accomplished a great deal, especially with the ups and downs in her life.  The constant unknowing of what would happen led to a excited feeling the whole way through.   The book wraps up at a turning point in Baby Doe's life, but not nearly the end; I'll be looking forward to the next book, Silver Dollar.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.