Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Goodnight June

Goodnight June - Sarah Jio

A heartwarming story of love, loss, family secrets and best of all, books!

" We didn't have much, but we always had books...And because of her, we learned of entire worlds that existed beyond the walls of our drab apartment."

June Andersen is a high-power, no-nonsense, vice-president of a bank in New York City who specializes in shutting down small, family owned businesses who have fallen behind on payments.  She
's great at her job and loves living in New York away from her family drama in Seattle; however, her job and lifestyle are probably giving her anxiety attacks.  This all changes when June learns that her beloved Aunt Ruby has passed away and left her the enchanting and financially destitute children's bookstore, Bluebird Books.  June returns to her Aunt's home to find a mystery waiting for her.  Aunt Ruby has left a scavenger hunt of letters written between herself and famous children's novelist, Margaret Wise Brown.  The letters will unravel secrets behind the bookstore and June's family.

I adored this book.  It is definitely a feel-good story and an easy read, but there's more.  Through the letters writt
en between June's Aunt Ruby and Margaret Wise Brown we not only get to know these two wonderful characters, but June is led on a scavenger hunt through the bookstore where we get to relive some children's classics and June's character is thrown for a loop on the mysteries of the connections of the store and her own family.  I loved that this story was mostly set in a bookstore, and I had absolutely no trouble picturing it, especially with all of the Goodnight Moon references.  Other than the highly intriguing mystery of the bookstore and Margaret Wise Brown's connection, Sarah Jio has placed an emphasis on family, grief and letting go of past mistakes.  All of this was done in a way that was not to complex and was very believable.

A book with June in the title! There's three in a row so far for Bingo!

Source: http://stephaniesbookreviews.weebly.com