Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Autumn in Carthage

Autumn in Carthage - Christopher Zenos

This book was a pleasantly awesome surprise!  I really had no idea what I was getting into with this book except that it had something to do with dual time periods and the Salem Witch Trials.

"Carthage, it appeared, didn't believe in secrets.  Except for the big ones."

Dr. Nathan Price is a college professor who is going on sabbatical.  He has had a hard time dealing with the disappearance of his best friend, Jamie.  A package arrives for his research just before Nathan leaves; in it is a letter from Jamie- dated 1692 from Salem, Massachusetts.
A clue in the letter leads Nathan to the strange, small town of Carthage, Wisconsin to track down his missing friend.  When he arrives, the people of Carthage take him in like one of the family, that is, until he starts asking questions about Jamie.

I didn't know what I was going to get out of this book, but I loved what I got.  It did take me a while to get into the story and figure out Nathan as a character; however, once I found out about his inner demons and he begins looking for his missing friend, I was
taken in.  The setting of Carthage drew me in and I was hooked from there, a mysterious small town with lots of stone mansions that the surrounding towns don't like for no other reason than the fact that they are rich.  Once he arrives in Carthage, Nathan's journey is set, but in many more ways than looking for his friend.  There is an unexpected romance, that didn't really bother me... and the people in the town have a secret.  Bathed in suspense, that secret is slowly teased out through a series of disappearances and even a murder in the town. The science-fiction aspects of the story were well explained and fit well into the setting. I really enjoyed the part of the story that takes place in Salem, even though it isn't until the very end.

A unique historical-science-fiction read.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.

Spring Bookish Bingo, another bingo!  A book with a green cover: