Mishker

100 Pages A Day...Stephanie's Book Reviews

Fractured

Fractured - Erin Hayes
Twins, Bathsheba (called Bash) and Lily have always been different.  Bash is outgoing and charming, Lily is quiet and keeps to herself.  Since a terrible playground incident when the twins were three, Bash has been blind and things just haven't been the same between the sisters.  Years later another horrible accident happens and their parents are taken from them.  To help heal old wounds, Bash wants to take Lily, along with her boyfriend and other friends up to a Colorado ski resort for a relaxing vacation.  However, everything seems to go wrong, just like it always does when Lily is around.

This book really surprised me.  I had no idea where it was going; it started out strong and seemed like it was going to be a good psychological thriller.  The prologue had me intrigued, going back to when the girls were three years old, there is a strong sense that something is different about Lily, but I didn't know what.  It could have been a psychological issue or supernatural.  Fast forward to twenty years later, Lily is still fighting the same demon and Bash still manages to have the perfect life, even while being visually impaired.  This is when the characterization shone for me, Bash and Lily were each strong and unique characters without being stereotypes. When Lily, Bash and the rest of the crew arrive at the resort, things pick up. Blood, death, gore, reanimated corpses, living hotels, supernatural everything.  It hit head on.  This is the author's first attempt at horror, and I think she did a pretty good job.  The ending tied up nicely, although I could see where it was going.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.

This is my Blue Cover for Summer Bookish Bingo